It is not surprising that even as crafting evolves, many trends, ideas and products gets introduced into the scene through many different forms. But some of these products were released into the market at different times so it is quite difficult to find comparison videos around. So since I have all three products, it made good sense for me to do one.
Faber Castell Gelatos:
+ Good for water-coloring images as ability to achieve multi-tonal effect on watercolor paper
+ Can be used for techniques in mixed media on gesso-ed surfaces and primed canvases.
- Price per stick/color is less economical
- Color integrity breaks down easily with water and loses intensity very quickly
- Not easy to activate once on the substrate if it is sub-porous or porous.
Caran D'ache Neocolor II
+ Good for water-coloring images as excellent multi-tonal effect on watercolor paper even from one color alone.
+ Works sufficiently well on stamped techniques
- Pricier large investments because sets come in large numbers of 48, 84 and 126.
Prima Water Soluble Pastels
+ Extremely vibrant colors. The yellow performs really well (which is rare).
+ Reactive with water and heavily pigmented
+ Value for money and most affordable per color compared to the other two products
- Hard to reactivate colors once dried
- Very minimal tonal effect over the same distance